A man’s moral conscience is the curse he had to accept from the gods in order to gain from them the right to dream.
Today’s story is from the Gospel of Mark, Chapter 2.
See, there’s this guy, and he’s paralyzed right? And his friends hear that Jesus in town chillin at this house, so they put him on a mat and they carry him to see Jesus, but it’s really crowded because of all the people there in the house to see Jesus, and they can’t even get him inside, so they take the guy up on the roof and tear open the roof to lower him down to Jesus. And then Jesus says to the paralyzed guy that because he has a pre-existing condition he doesn’t deserve medical care and if the paralyzed guy really wanted help he would have pulled himself up by his bootstraps to go to college to get a job that provided medical insurance. And then the friends are arrested for destroying private property, because who just tears up someone’s roof like that?
My buddy Matt has had a rough go of it lately, and has kind of dropped off the face of the earth. I figured a new playlist would help him in the long nights he puts in with work over there in Colorado. Based off of his background and some of the music we discussed, I tried to come up with a playlist that merged alt-country and bluegrass with a legitimate summer sound. Hopefully I pulled it off.
- Iron & Wine - “Communion Cups and Someone’s Coat”
- A.A. Bondy - “The Mercy Wheel”
- Ryan Bingham - “The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)”
- Amy Millan - “I Will Follow You Into the Dark”
- Beck - “Jack-Ass”
- Ray LaMontagne and the Pariah Dogs - “Old Before Your Time”
- The Lumineers - “Ho Hey’
- First Aid Kit - “Emmylou”
- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - “Home”
- Bon Iver - “Towers”
- Kelly Clarkson - “Mr. Know It All (Country Version)”
- Leona Naess - “Shiny On the Inside”
- The Soggy Bottom Boys - “I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow”
- Andrew Bird - “Orpheo Looks Back”
- Oasis - “Live Forever”
- Tanlines - “All Of Me”
- The Naked and Famous - “Young Blood”
- Hanson - “Thinking ‘Bout Something”
- Forest Sun - “Loves Last Arrow”
- Matt Wertz - “Everything’s Right”
- Gotye - “Easy Way Out”
- Ben Kweller - “Penny On the Train Track”
You pulled it off, boo.